My Stress and I

My stress and I have known each other for a relatively short time. We met by accident a couple of years ago when in the midst of Argentina’s economic meltdown I lost my job, all my savings, an apartment in the city and a house in the country…

Before that, I really “did not had the pleasure”… so to speak. Great events in my life unfolded without his presence. I traveled four continents, held different jobs, got married, made and lost friends. But I was alone. My stress was not with me.

When we finally met, he came home and made himself comfortable. He was like an unpredictable stranger you invite to a party. But by the time he started showing his true personality I felt powerless to stop him. Not before long he started messing with my state of mind and with my health! I started learning new words like hyper-thyroids and ulcers. And on a more harmless note, I got my first gray hairs.

Before long I wanted him out of my life! But he would not go. He did not take rejection well, and in a bold move he took me -- and my family -- hostage. He made demands. He insisted I find a job before he went. Even if it meant changing continents, lifestyles, leaving friends behind. He was relentless. So there I was, listening to him, making changes in my life. Packing my bags.

When he though I was in the right track, he eventually moved out, but we stay in touch. We are not quite friends now, but we’ve grown to respect each other. Like the parents of old who would not spare a child a good spanking when they felt he deserved it, my stress does give me a call now and then, just in case I do need a little prompting, just in case I get too comfortable.

And you know what, I’ve almost forgotten what he looks like.

Alfonso
Chino, February 2004

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Tradición Familia Propiedad

¡Praesto Sum! (I)

Plinio Correa de Oliveira